Miami would have had 10 picks in the 2023 NFL draft if they did not trade picks and lose one due to forfeiture. The picks they had were 21, 29, 51, 77, 84, 122, 155, 178, 197, 238 ( Numbers in bold are their original 7 picks)
So, what happened to their picks? Follow the bouncing ball…
- Miami had to forfeit pick #21 due to the tampering charges by the NFL
- The Dolphins acquired the 29th overall pick from the San Francisco 49ers as part of the 2021 trade involving the third and 12th overall selections, but then traded that pick to the Denver Broncos as part of the 2022 trade for LB Bradley Chubb.
- The Dolphins acquired a third-round pick #77 from the New England Patriots for WR DeVante Parker and a 2022 fifth-round selection. The Dolphins sent that 2022 third-round pick to the Los Angeles Rams, along with TE Hunter Long, for CB Jalen Ramsey.
- The Dolphins traded their fourth-round pick #122, to the Kansas City Chiefs, along with first-, second- and fourth-round picks in 2022 and a sixth-round selection #178 in 2023 for WR Tyreek Hill. The sixth-round selection came from the Chicago Bears in the 2021 trade involving WR Jakeem Grant.
- The Dolphins traded their fifth-round pick #155 to the San Francisco 49ers for RB Jeff Wilson Jr.
Special Thanks to (SI’s Alain Poupart) for providing the majority of the tracking information.
If you put it all together and add players Miami traded picks for, our draft this year looks like this pre-draft.
- Miami’s pick #21 Forfeited
- Miami’s pick #29 traded for Bradley Chubb
- Miami pick #51 they still have (For now?)
- Miami’s pick #77 traded for CB Jalen Ramsey
- Miami pick #84 they still have (For now?)
- Miami’s pick #122 traded for WR Tyreek Hill*
- Miami pick #155 traded for RB Jeff Wilson Jr.
- Miami pick #178 traded for WR Tyreek Hill*
- Miami pick #197 they still have (For now?)
- Miami pick #238 they still have (For now?)
So, this is the history of Miami league low 4 draft picks in the 2023 NFL draft and I can say I have no regrets on the decisions made because we have four starters on our roster (Tyreek Hill #122 & 178, Bradley Chubb #29, Jalen Ramsey #77 and Jeff Wilson Jr. # 155) all of whom brings greater value than the picks given up.
Kudos to General Manager Chris Grier for putting this team together in just 3-4 short years into a team that can contend with the best in the league and possibly a Super Bowl in the next 2 years.