Head Coach Mike McDaniel has completed his staff and there were a few surprises and a few disappointments in some of his staff but overall, it looks promising. The pleasant surprises were the hiring of 3 former Dolphins players all of whom had remarkable success in their professional careers.
- Sam Madison
- Patrick Surtain
- Wes Welker
The disappointments for me were retaining Dolphins RB coach and co offensive coordinator Eric Studeville as I feel this guy has done a poor job at coaching the position ever since coming to Miami.
The other disappointment was their failure to add a veteran Defensive Coach to help Josh Boyer, especially when Omar Kelly reports (Stright From the Horse’s Mouth) that Brian Flores stripped Josh Boyer of his play calling duties after the defense failed to play well early in the season.
I do like that McDaniel seemed to have doubled down on coaches who bring strength to what was an obvious weakness on this team during Brian Flores tenure and beyond. The Offensive line and run game. If they get improvement from those units and our defense plays close to what we have seen over the past two years, this team is playoff bound!
Here is Mike McDaniel’s complete staff and my grades
- Frank Smith (Offensive Coordinator): Grade A
- Darrell Bevell (Quarterbacks Coach and Passing Game Coordinator): Grade B
- Matt Applebaum (Offensive Line Coach): Grade B+
- Eric Studesville (Running Backs Coach & Assistant Head Coach) C-
- Jon Embree (Tight Ends Coach & Assistant Head Coach): Grade B
- Wes Welker (Wide Receivers Coach): Grade B+
- Anthony Campanile (Linebackers Coach): Grade B
- Austin Clark (Defensive Line Coach): Grade B+
- Ty McKenzie (Outside Linebackers Coach): Grade B
- Sam Madison (Cornerbacks Coach & Pass Game Specialist): Grade B+
- Steve Gregory (Safeties Coach): Grade B
Other assistants (Non-Grade)
- Josh Grizzard (Quality Control)
- Chandler Henley (Assistant Quarterbacks Coach)
- Lemuel Jeanpierre (Assistant Offensive Line Coach)
- Mike Person (Offensive Assistant)
- Aldrick Robinson (Offensive Assistant)
- Kolby Smith (Offensive Assistant)
- Mathieu Araujo (Assistant Defensive Backs Coach)
- Steve Ferentz (Assistant Linebackers Coach)
- Derrick Leblanc (Assistant Defensive Line Coach)
- Ryan Slowik (Sr. Defensive Assistant)
- Patrick Surtain (Defensive Assistant)
Thanks to Travis Wingfield of the Miami Dolphins who put together this tidbit about the current Dolphins coaching staff assembled by Mike McDaniel
- The Dolphins staff features 183 combined years of NFL coaching experience
- In total, between high school, college and NFL, the Dolphins staff has more than 300 combined years of coaching experience
- The 2022 Dolphins staff has coached five Super Bowl-winning teams
Overall, I give this staff a B+ grade, but we all know what will matter is wins and losses as they move forward. I selfishly wish them much success.