|No. 74 – Miami Dolphins|
|Position: Offensive tackle|
|Born: January 19, 1998 (age 23)|
|Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight: 302 lb (137 kg)|
|High school: Saint Ignatius (Cleveland)|
|College: Notre Dame (2016–2020)|
|NFL Draft: 2021 / Round: 2 / Pick: 42|
|Miami Dolphins (2021–present)|
|Roster status: Unsigned draft pick|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Jacobs Blocking Award (2020)Consensus All-American (2020)First-team All-ACC (2020)|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2021|
Player BioEichenberg was so impressive in youth football camps that Ohio State offered him a scholarship before his freshman year at St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland. The High School All-American and top-100 overall recruit nationally decided to sign with Notre Dame instead (though his brother, Tommy, signed with the Buckeyes as a linebacker in 2019). As a redshirt freshman in 2017, Eichenberg played in five games as a reserve. He started all 26 games for the Irish at left tackle in 2018 and 2019, portending a big senior season. Eichenberg came through, starting all 12 games at his left tackle spot to earn second-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-ACC accolades. League coaches voted him the winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy as the top lineman in the conference, and he was also an Outland Trophy finalist. — by Chad Reuter
A better run blocker than pass protector at this juncture, Eichenberg is a three-year starter at left tackle but might be asked to move to the right side due to average slide quickness and inconsistencies in pass protection. He’s well-schooled in a variety of running schemes and attacks his job with above-average strain and leg drive once he has his block centered. His punch lacks crispness, accuracy and is too easy for defenders to time up. He could see early starting reps at tackle but could face early difficulties until he learns to cinch up defenders with his grip rather than popping and separating so often.
- Three-year starter who learned under Quenton Nelson and Ronnie Stanley.
- Adequate thickness with proportional frame.
- Allows slanting defender to declare before he fits and runs him.
- Strikes with force into first contact.
- Well-schooled working hip to hip on double teams.
- Works with good strain during sustain phase as run blocker.
- Adequate athleticism and body control up to second level.
- Diverts and turns his block away from run lane.
- Displays feel for drop depth in his sets.
- Reloads and fires when his punch is discarded.
- Able to slide and recover once pass rush disengages.
- Could struggle gaining early depth with kick slides versus NFL speed.
- Timing, hand placement and body control all need work in pass sets.
- High hands easily swatted and discarded.
- Punch is monotonous and predictable.
- Needs to eliminate punch hitch and diversify his attacks on rushers.
- Reaches looking for two-hand contact rather than sitting back and ripping it.
- Has a tendency to play too far forward when seeking moving targets.
- One-pop hitter, allowing rushers secondary opportunities.
The Dolphins have shown a true commitment towards building a young offensive line during the rebuild processes and Liam is just another example of that commitment. He is a big man that will be thrown into the mix with the three O-Linemen drafted last year as well as the veteran presence on the roster.
He will most likely compete for LG position even though he played LT in college. He is a need as Miami tries to put together the best young offensive line they can and we shall soon find out where he shakes out. I love the fact that the Dolphins are truly committed towards building a quality offensive line and hopefully Liam Eichenberg will help solve the offensive line issues.
Welcome to Miami Liam Eichenberg!
**********PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO CLICK THE STARS ABOVE ***********
Please help create better content in the future as well as giveaways such as upcoming TDS T-Shirts, Game Tickets, Giveaways, and cashback opportunities. For as little as .99 cents a month you can contribute to the growth of TDS and the podcast.
Please become a sponsor, there are 3 monthly price ranges to choose from .99 basic content /4 .99 with special content with more giveaways / 9.99 premium that will get you even more special content as well as many more giveaways others will not enjoy! (Click Here To Support!)
PLEASE GRADE THE ARTICLE AT THE TOP (1-5 STARS)!
(((((((COMPUTER GENERATED WEEKLY PREDICTIONS IN LATEST PODCAST))))))))