(Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (6′ 7″, 364 pounds)
The Dolphins are moving back in time while at the same time keeping up with the future. How so? (this is just my opinion so let me get that point out first) Miami will stock their roster with BIGGER, STRONGER. FASTER players on both sides of the ball.
On their offensive and defensive lines they will only draft players who fit the prototypical size or bigger so expect to see a lot of 6′-4″ – 6′-7″ tall players being selected as the Dolphins will no longer be bullied around by the likes of the Baltimore Ravens. The one thing that has frustrated me over these last few years has been Miami’s inability to match up against the more physical teams in the NFL.
I wrote an article entitled meat and potatoes it was about the average height of each NFL player
- The average height of an NFL QB is 6 ft 3 in and 224 lbs
- The average height of an NFL RB Is 5 ft 10 in and 214 lbs
- The average height of an NFL WR is 6 ft 1/2 in and 200 lbs
- The average height of an NFL TE is 6 ft 4 and 1/2 in and 254 lbs
- The average height of an NFL FB is 6 ft 1/2 in and 244 lbs
- The average height of an NFL OL is 6 ft 4 to 6 ft 5 in and 314 lbs
- The average height of an NFL DB Is 5 ft 11 in and 200 pounds
- The average height of an NFL LB is 6 ft 2 and 1/2 in and 244 lbs
- The average height of an NFL DE is 6 foot 3 and 1/2 in and 270 lb
- The average height of an NFL DT 6 ft 3 in and 309 lbs
I am of the opinion let the Dolphins will stock their roster with players that meet or exceed the average height of the NFL player, in fact I think they will start to fill those spots with players above the average height.
Of course there are exceptions to the rules because heart, mental toughness, talent and ability can supersede height restrictions. I will always remember the one Dolphin player to change my mind about the prototypical height of players.
It was linebacker Zach Thomas who at first I was not a big fan of, because he was short in stature for a linebacker especially an inside linebacker. Listed at 5′-11″ he was the exception to the rule and deserves to be in the Hall of fame as he was one of the best LB’s in Miami Dolphins history.
It took me awhile but he won me over with his play he was exceptional at his job so in some cases I can see the Dolphins making an exception to the rule but for the most part I feel a Brian Flores team we’ll have players at or above the prototypical height and weight as they will mirror the Head Coach being mentally tough, disciplined and with prototypical stature.
So look for the Miami Dolphins to transform into one physically tough team that will not be physically beat up on the field.
Go Miami!! Fins Up!!!!
*Please rate my article at the top by clicking on the stars, you have options 1 -5 with five being you really love the article and one being that I need to improve, your opinion matters thank you for taking time out of your busy life to read my articles I appreciate it…